Stellenbosch Heritage Foundation nominated a building in Lanquedoc for Provincial Heritage status. Several generations have shared their lives in various ways with the Old Shop, as it is affectionately called. This building was designed in the late 1800’s by Sir Herbert Baker as part of a bigger project when Rhodes commissioned him to plan a village for farm workers. The Old Shop is an example of gabled Cape Dutch Revival Style architecture.
One must pass the Old Shop to go in or out of Lanquedoc. Together with the Anglican St Giles’ Church it forms part of a public square. However, due to neglect and vandalism the building suffers from decay and the back wall is falling in.