| Hartenberg | |||||||
| Physical Address: | Bottelary Road | Erf: | Applicable Legislation | ||||
| Architectural Period: | Date built: | Older than 60 years: | unassessed | PREV. NATIONAL MONUMENT: | |||
| Style: | Type of building: |
![]() Date of photograph(s): } |
|||||
| Zoning: | Use: | ||||||
| Heritage Values | |||||||
| Rarity: | Historical: | ||||||
| Aesthetical: | Technological: | ||||||
| Cultural: | Social History: | ||||||
| Slave History: | Present NHRA protection: | S34 | |||||
| Heritage Analysis | |||||||
| SITE & STRUCTURE DESCRIPTION: | Square-gabled house dated 1849. It has the rectangular plan, two rooms deep, that was customary at that date. The house now has a half-hipped slate roof (Fransen, 2004: 213). The underground Hartenberg Cellar was commissioned in the late 1980s, and is decorated with twelve stained-glass artworks by German coppersmith, Karl Heinz Wilhelm. They took two years to complete, and describe each of the twelve phases of cultivating and producing wine. | ||||||
| History: |
In 1704, Christoffel Esterhuizzen was granted the title deed to "Het Hartenberg" by Willem Adriaan van der Stel. The well-known elephant hunter, Paulus Keyser, bought Hartenberg in 1721. He sold it to Jacob van Bochen in 1725. Van Bochen, a former acco |
||||||
| Social History: | |||||||
| Alterations: | |||||||
| General Evaluation: | |||||||
| Suggested Grading: | IIIC | ||||||
| Date of Survey: | 2016 | ||||||