Theological Seminary

Erf 1188 

Address

Dorp Street cnr Pastorie Street cnr Noordwal Street 

Date built

"1763, 1857 and 1905" 

Use

University 

Style

Neo-Classical 

Architectual period

Victorian  

Type of building

Educational 

General evaluation

Outstanding 

Suggested grading

Present NHRA protection

Previous "national monument (gateway and gates,:1973, facade: 1979)" 

Zoning

 

Date of survey

November 2009 

Reference no.

7.11 

Description

"Double storey building with three bays to each side of a central 3-bay portion. Slate roof with decorative dormer vents, with a raised roof over the central portion. The central portion is heavily decorated with triangular pediments and other plaster decorations above the ground and first floors, pilasters, hood mouldings and balusters. The entrance is raised and recessed and covered with a pedimented portico with pilasters and plaster mouldings to the arched openings. Timber joinery. The casements with fanlights in the bays flanking the entrance have moulded surrounds, with hood mouldings on the upper floor and surmounting pediments on the ground floor. Flanking the main building are double storey additions with corrugated iron roofs and covered central gables, with ornamental brackets under gables and eaves; double storey concrete verandahs with masonry columns; sash windows with louvred shutters.Front garden with established trees and a statue of NJ Hofmeyr. Fine boundary wall with cast iron gates (a pair of gates from the 1763 stage survives on the side). Modern extensions behind the old building, facing Noordwal." 

History

"This building stands on the site, and possibly the foundations, of the Drostdy, which was built on a small island in the Eerste River, of which one branch has been filled in. The Drostdy appears on Stade's panorama (1710) as a U-shaped building with hipped thatched roof. It was completely rebuilt in 1763 to a typical Cape H-shape with a Rococo gable, a balustrade at the eaves and scrolls above the windows. In 1858 the DR synod began to use it as the Theological Seminary and flanking dwellings were erected for the first two professors (J Murray and NJ Hofmeyr). In 1868 an upper storey was added and the facade refashioned to a design by Carl Otto Hager. In 1905 it was again altered by the architects RM Robertson and Hesse: the outbuildings flanking the forecourt and the adjoining gaol were demolished. (Source: Fransen & Cooke)" 

Alterations

See history. 

Social History

 


Significance in terms of NHRA

 
Very
Significant
Significant
Some
Significance
No
Significance
Not
Assessed
Historical
 
 
 
 
 
Rarity
 
 
 
 
 
Aesthetical
 
 
 
 
 
Technological
 
 
 
 
 
Cultural
 
 
 
 
 
Social History
 
 
 
 
 
Slave History
 
 
 
 
 

Circa

1850 - 1874 

Admin area

Stellenbosch 

Allotment

Stellenbosch 

Linked to erf/erven

 

Linked address

 

NHRA protection

Previous "national monument (gateway and gates,:1973, facade: 1979)" 

Environment

 

Sect 27.2 Is the building/site a Provinical Heritage Site?
 
Sect 27.3 Is the building/site a Previous National Monument?
 
Sect 28 Will any dev affect the prot or views of or from a Gr 1 or Gr 2 site?
 
Sect 34 Is the building/structure older than 60 years?
 
Sect 35 Is the site a declared archeological/palaeontological site?
 
Sect 36 Does the site contain any graves or is it a burial ground?
 
Sect 37 Does the site contain any public monuments or memorials?
 


BACK