Grosvenor House

Erf 1351 

Address

Drostdy Street 

Date built

late-18th C core 

Use

Museum 

Style

Neo-Classical 

Architectual period

Cape Dutch  

Type of building

Residential 

General evaluation

Outstanding 

Suggested grading

IIIA 

Present NHRA protection

Previous "National monument (1955, reproclaimed1992)" 

Zoning

 

Date of survey

December 2012 

Reference no.

9.03 

Description

"Fine double storey parapetted 3-bay house with fluted pilasters between bays. Original joinery: 'bo-en-onderdeur' with 20-pane fanlight; fine plaster surround and small dentilled pediment with palm tree motif of DR church seal just above front door, flanked by half-sashes; 20x20 sashes to both floors, the outer ones on the ground floor with solid half-shutters. H-shaped, but with courts between wings now enclosed. The double-storey house is flanked by single-storey parapetted rooms, each with a 6x6 sash and glazed door with 3-pane fanlight, the one on the right possibly part of the original building (see history), the one on the left post-1860 (Fransen & Cook).Thatched pre-1817 coach house with mock chimney end gable, on street boundary to right of house; two 6x6 casements with solid shutters to loft, timber double doors to carriage house." 

History

"Land granted in 1781 to Christiaan Ludolph Neethling, 'Onderkoopman en Sekretaris des Raads van Justisie', and enlarged by him in 1782. He built a simple rectangular house which probably forms the core of the present building. Transferred to FG Holtzapfel in 1790 and Reinhard Perreyn (son-in-law of Landdrost RJ van der Riet) in 1798. In 1799 Johann Wilhelm Herold bought the house and probably enlarged it to an H-shape. He also added the second floor, possibly after the fire of 1803. It was bought by Adrian Roux in 1821, and in 1825 his widow married FRL Neethling, son of the first owner - who was probably responsible for the pine screen. From 1872-75 it was owned by Sir Christoffel Brand, first Speaker of the old Cape Parliament. It was then owned by the Collins family until 1942. It has been a museum since 1948. (Fransen & Cooke)" 

Alterations

See History. Restored 1967. 

Social History

 


Significance in terms of NHRA

 
Very
Significant
Significant
Some
Significance
No
Significance
Not
Assessed
Historical
 
 
 
 
 
Rarity
 
 
 
 
 
Aesthetical
 
 
 
 
 
Technological
 
 
 
 
 
Cultural
 
 
 
 
 
Social History
 
 
 
 
 
Slave History
 
 
 
 
 

Circa

1750 - 1799 

Admin area

Stellenbosch 

Allotment

Stellenbosch 

Linked to erf/erven

 

Linked address

 

NHRA protection

Previous "National monument (1955, reproclaimed1992)" 

Environment

part of a group 

Sect 27.2 Is the building/site a Provinical Heritage Site?
 
Sect 27.3 Is the building/site a Previous National Monument?
 
Sect 28 Will any dev affect the prot or views of or from a Gr 1 or Gr 2 site?
 
Sect 34 Is the building/structure older than 60 years?
 
Sect 35 Is the site a declared archeological/palaeontological site?
 
Sect 36 Does the site contain any graves or is it a burial ground?
 
Sect 37 Does the site contain any public monuments or memorials?
 


BACK